Friday, April 11, 2014

A Cape fit for a Superhero

I customized this cape for Ella to wear to a superhero themed birthday party.  What You Need:  Plain cape (I found this one at Michael's in one of the bins.  It was like $3), Silver thread, Felt.  Because the cape was red, I chose to go the All American route so I chose white and blue felt for the "stars" and the letter "E".  I pulled a star pattern from my applique stash and traced it on the back side of the felt and cut them out with heavier scissors.  I then placed and pinned the largest star in the middle of the cape and pinned the white E within the star.  Then I placed and pinned the smaller stars around the E star on the cape.  Once I got the stars placed how I liked them, I sewed them all on with silver thread and hemmed the cape so that she wouldn't trip on it.  LOVE!

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Another Work in Progress


Not sure where I'm going with this one yet but I love the flying geese.

Mug Rug


I made this mug rug for my husband who obviously is a Patriots fan.  I sewed it inside out with the batting, then topstitched the perimeter and finally, quilted it in straight lines.  It turned out okay.  The next one I do will be with binding.  

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

A Classic Jumper

I made Ella this Classic Jumper from the One Yard Wonders book.  It's the first item I have made from the book and I'm looking forward to making more.  The instructions were pretty easy to follow.  The only difficulty I had was of course the button-holes.  After spending a couple of hours fighting my machine, I gave up and had a friend do them for me just so Ella could wear before she grows out of it.  I used the 12 month old measurements so she'll probably be out of it by summer.  I love the dress on her and she loves the buttons.  She ran all around the house and yard so it's obviously super comfortable and the length is just right.  I know you can't really see the length of the dress from this picture but it falls just below her knees.


Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Frockets

My niece came to visit for Spring Break and tasked us with making "frockets" which unbeknowst to me is a style trend amoung college coeds.  It's simply a tshirt with a fabric pocket.  So, we worked together make a frockets for the family.  Pictured is the one I made for Miss Ella.  I used scraps from one of my projects and a tshirt that I got onsale at Old Navy.  I love how it turned out.  And it only cost about $3 compared to the original Frocket cost of $30+.  Check

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Square Dance Quilt


I am really gaining momentum on this quilt made up of square dance blocks and a mixture of Amy Butler fabrics.  I decided to use a lot of white to balance out the wild patterns.  I added more blocks featuring some red fabrics so the color will be more varied on the sides with the top remaining a mix of blues, turquoise and green.  I finished a total of 56 fourteen inch square blocks and laid the quilt out in 8 rows of 7.  The finished quilt will be a little larger than a standard queen.  I'm still debating about whether I want to "quilt" it myself or send it out to be finished on a long arm machine.  It's such a simple design that I should be able to easily "stitch in the ditch" along all the seams but I also love the idea of having a beautiful feather or scroll pattern.  This will be for our bedroom so I'm tempted to really make it a showstopper. 

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

My turn

I've finally decided that it's my turn to make a quilt for myself or rather, our master bedroom.  After much debating, I started working on a "Square Dance" pattern using blues and greens with pops of red and yellow.  I want it to be bright and admittedly, I am having trouble with layout and fabrics.  The square dance block calls for lots of different patterns/colors.  So, I'm overwhelmed.  After piecing about half the blocks of white centers, I'm now integrating white blocks with different color centers.  Work in progress.